Dec 16, 2011
Voting underway for 2011 Moment of the Year
By: SPORTS NETWORK
New York, NY (Sports Network) - The 13th annual National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) Moment of the Year is now up for vote. Racing fans can choose from 12 nominated events from the past year. The voting is being conducted on the NTRA website.
The 12 nominated moments include the first two legs of the Triple Crown and the Breeders' Cup Classic. The last two winning "Moments" were the thrilling Breeders' Cup Classics involving Zenyatta.
"The NTRA Moment of the Year gives fans a voice and sense of ownership at the Eclipse Awards," said Keith Chamblin, NTRA senior vice president of communications and industry relations. "It allows them to salute the people, horses and memories that make our sport so appealing. We look forward to seeing which one of the many outstanding moments from 2011 they select as this year's winner."
The winning selection will be honored at the Eclipse Award ceremony Monday, January 16 with the "NTRA Moment of the Year" award.
Here is the complete list of the nominated moments.
- Game on Dude and Chantal Sutherland survive 10 furlongs and a 12-minute stewards' inquiry in capturing the Santa Anita Handicap.
- Rosie Napravnik guides Pants on Fire to victory in the Louisiana Derby en route to becoming the first woman to win a Fair Grounds riding title.
- Uncle Mo suffers his first defeat, running third behind Toby's Corner in Aqueduct's Wood Memorial.
- Animal Kingdom runs down his foes in the Kentucky Derby.
- Shackleford overcomes pre-race nervousness to hold off Animal Kingdom in the Preakness.
- Blind Luck prevails by a nose over Havre de Grace following a stretch-long duel in the Delaware Handicap.
- Caleb's Posse catches a stubborn Uncle Mo in the King's Bishop Stakes at Saratoga.
- Havre de Grace beats the boys in Saratoga's Woodward Stakes.
- Joseph O'Brien, 18, becomes the youngest jockey to win a Breeders' Cup race, piloting St. Nicholas Abbey to victory in the Breeders' Cup Turf for his father, Aidan O'Brien.
- Court Vision spoils Goldikova's attempt at a fourth consecutive Breeders' Cup Mile win, upsetting the field at 64-1.
- Drosselmeyer and Mike Smith edge Game on Dude and Chantal Sutherland at the wire of the Breeders' Cup Classic, giving trainer Bill Mott his second "Classic" in 24 hours.
- Rapid Redux breaks a North American record by winning his 20th consecutive race.
<< Back To Newsletter