Dec 07, 2012
Richard's Kid headed for 2013 season
By: SPORTS NETWORK
Inglewood, CA (Sports Network) - Richard's Kid, trained by Doug O'Neill, is being prepared for another season of racing in 2013. The 7-year-old horse completed his 2012 campaign with a fourth-place finish last week in the Native Diver Stakes at Hollywood Park.
"He came back great," said O'Neill. "He ran bigger and gave more of an effort in the Breeders' Cup (Classic) than I had originally thought. He just bounced a little bit. But he came out of it sound and we're just shooting for a big time campaign in 2013."
Richard's Kid, a two-time winner of the Pacific Classic, was fifth in the Breeders' Cup Classic on Nov.3 behind Fort Larned, but two spots ahead of rival Game On Dude who won the Native Diver.
Formerly trained by Bob Baffert, Richard's Kid won two of seven starts this year since arriving back from Dubai. The 7-year-old won the Prove It Stakes and Cougar II this summer with a second to Game On Dude in the Hollywood Gold Cup and a pair of thirds in the Pacific Classic and Awesome Again Stakes.
Co-owned by Triple B Farms, Richard's Kid could be headed back to Dubai for the $10 million World Cup, a race he finished 12th in 2011.
"That's one of those things that no matter what I think, you have to get invited anyway," O'Neill said. "So we'll play it by ear. That would be a dream place to run him, but he's going to have to pick it up to be invited."
Richard's Kid has banked better than $2.3 million in 39 lifetime starts with 11 wins.
<< Back To Newsletter