Dec 14, 2012
Take Charge Indy ready to race in 2013
By: SPORTS NETWORK
Lexington, KY (Sports Network) - Florida Derby winner Take Charge Indy will return to the races in 2013 for his 4-year-old campaign. The colt, trained by Patrick Byrne, will be based at Palm Meadows Training Center near Gulfstream Park.
"We're extremely excited to bring back Take Charge Indy as a 4-year-old, and really look forward to big things to come," said Byrne. "He is just now rounding back into top form, and we believe he can be a leading older horse in 2013. His Clark performance gives us a lot of confidence going forward, and he couldn't have bounced out of that race any better than he did. We'll go down to Palm Meadows again for the winter and target him for the Donn (Handicap)."
Owned by Chuck and Maribeth Sandford, Take Charge Indy was second to Shackleford in the Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs last month after placing third in the Fayette Stakes at Keeneland in October. The Fayette was his first start since finishing 19th in the Kentucky Derby.
The colt, who will eventually stand at WinStar Farm, has banked $821,824 off two wins in nine career starts.
"Everything about Take Charge Indy exudes class, from his race record and good looks, to his pedigree," said Elliott Walden, WinStar President & CEO. "He joined Bernardini as the only sons of A.P. Indy in North America to win a Grade 1 as 3-year-olds, and we feel that he will be tremendously well-received when he comes to stud. The prevailing belief by everyone involved is that Take Charge Indy will be even better as a 4-year-old, so we're excited about his potential to come back and be a top-level racehorse next year."
As a 2-year-old in 2011, Take Charge Indy won in his first start and followed with a second in the Arlington-Washington Futurity. He was fourth to Dullahan in the Breeders' Futurity and fifth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile behind Hansen.
<< Back To Newsletter